Saturday 16 February 2013

Readings & Psalms for Catholic Wedding Ceremonies

As a former wedding planner; choosing the readings, whether they be religious or otherwise, can be tiresome. Most want to the poem or reading to be meaningful, but without pretension. If it is a religious ceremony, most couples quite happily consult with their priest or minister to advise them on the appropriate scripture.
But for those who choose a "civil" ceremony, the choice is almost endless. And for many, they aren't exactly aficionados when it comes to poetry; and don't want to choose one that, while it may seem sweet on the surface, might actually hide a darker meaning within the well chosen words.
Yes! It is quite the nightmare! :-)
But fret not, for I will happily supply you with plenty of suggestions that I used both in my own wedding, and with my former clients' wedding too. Tried and trusted, all the way. ;-)

For our wedding, my husband and I chose to have a Roman Catholic ceremony. Although this may seem like a very impersonal marriage ceremony, it is in face quite open for personalisation. Of course this may vary from parish to parish, but the parish I belong to, and in which we got married, is quite progressive.
And even if yours isn't, there are many ways to personalise your Church wedding (although my main experience is with the Catholic ceremony, I am sure that this can be applied to many other denominations too.)
Before I go any further, I feel I should point out that I am no theologian, and I don't not have the required depth of knowledge to discuss the scriptures below at any great length. I am merely posting them as a means to help you to narrow the field, so to speak, when it comes to choosing the correct readings for your marriage ceremony. This really is just a helpful guide for those who wish to shorten the process and ease the somewhat tiresome burden of choosing the readings for their Big Day. :-)
I would also add; if you plan to have children or even teenagers (or nervous adults even) I would advise choosing shorter readings, and to give the selected reader a copy of their reading as soon as possible, to allow themselves time to familiarise themselves with the sometimes archaic language.

Below I will place screen shots of the most commonly used readings in the Catholic wedding ceremony.

Choices for the First Reading:

Option 1: Genesis 1:26-28.31




 Option 2: Genesis 2:18-24



Option 3: Genesis 24:48-51. 58-67

 Option 4: Song of Songs 2:8-10.14.16; 8:6-7



 Option 5: The prophet Jeremiah 31:31-34
OK! I know! Enough already? Am I right?! :-) It can be quite daunting can't it?! Especially if like most modern couples, you're not a regular Mass-goer. (I'm as guilty as the next person!) 





The Responsorial Psalm:
The next part of the Wedding Mass which really needs your input in the Psalm. If you are having a vocalist, then it's Happy Days for you, because from my experience (as a Church Wedding singer), the Psalm will be sung. 
If you choose not to have a vocalist, or not to sing the Psalm, then there are some options available to you as to which Psalm can be read.


Option 1: The Lord fills the earth with his love.


Option 2: Praise the name of the Lord




Option 3: How good is the Lord to all




Option 4: O blessed are those who fear the Lord!


Option 5: Happy the man who takes delight in the Lord's commands


And as I previously mentioned above, the Responsorial Psalm may be sung. There are so many beautiful Psalms in song form, that you will be spoiled for choice! I will try to find some and embed them here at a later date, but your chosen vocalist should have at least a few for you to choose from. :-)



Choices for the Second Reading:

Directly following the Psalm, and preceding the Gospel Acclamation, is the Second Reading.

Option 1: Romans 12:1-2.9-18 
 


Option 2: Corinthians 12:31- 13:8



Option 3: Corinthians 6:13-15.17-20




Option 4: Colossians 3:12-17

Option 5: John 4:7-12











No comments:

Post a Comment